The Illinois Green Party’s internal process for candidate nomination in the 2018 election cycle is open!
Individuals interested in running as a Green Party candidate in 2018 can find the process and supporting documentation at our Resources – For Candidates webpage.
Nomination in “new party” districts (all districts in 2018 excepting the 12th Congressional and Chicago’s Metropolitan Water Reclamation District) follow a three-step process:
- Notification of Interest – submitted as a Candidate Questionnaire to the state party
- Recognition as a Nomination Process Candidate – by local chapter(s), by caucus of electoral district membership, or by the Executive Committee
- Online Ballot – held from January 19-26, 2018
The details of each step are contained in this year’s Candidate Nomination Process document, hosted on the Resources – For Candidates webpage.
Some key dates for prospective candidates to keep in mind:
- 5 September 2017 – first day to circulate ballot access petitions in “established party” districts (SBoE primary process)
- 19 November 2017 – last recommended day for “new party” district candidates to submit Notification of Intent to the Party Secretary
- 27 November 2017 – first day to file for office in “established party” districts
- 4 December 2017 – last day to file for office in “established party” districts
- 19 January 2018 – first day of Online Ballot for ILGP Nomination Process elections
- 26 January 2018 – last day of Online Ballot for ILGP Nomination Process elections
- 20 March 2018 – primary elections in “established party” districts
- 27 March 2018 – first day to circulate ballot access petitions in “new party” districts
- 18 June 2018 – first day to file for office in “new party” districts
- 25 June 2018 – last day to file for office in “new party” districts
- 6 November 2018 – Election Day 2018
Candidates are encouraged to submit their Candidate Questionnaires to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. It can take up to two months for candidates to secure the necessary recognition from local chapters or membership, depending on meeting and vote schedules. We recommend that candidates submit their Candidate Questionnaires to the party secretary no later than 19 November 2017.
Individuals with questions should contact ILGP Secretary Geoffrey Cubbage at email@example.com.