- WHO: Green Party members and supporters, with Guest of Honor Ajamu Baraka, 2016 Vice-Presidential candidate
- WHAT: Conference, panels, workshops, and Keynote Dinner (Saturday) and party membership meeting (Sunday)
- WHERE: Springfield, IL (Lincoln Library on Saturday, Mansion View Inn on Sunday)
- WHEN: Saturday, October 28 - Sunday, October 29 (with pre-conference social evening Friday, October 27)
The Green Party is needed today more than ever. With both parties currently in power answering to corporate money and corporate power, only a party that rejects all corporate donation and stands for the 99% can help restore true democratic government in America.
Join the Illinois Green Party and Vice-Presidential candidate Ajamu Baraka this October 28 for our 2017 Fall Conference & Membership Meeting to learn more about the Green Party, and our campaigns and candidates in Illinois. See details below for individual events and daily schedules.
If you are in need of a ride to the Fall Conference, or if you are a driver with extra seats in your car, please sign up using the Fall Meeting Carpool form.
Friday - Pre-Conference Social Gathering, Informal Dining
Location: Joe Gallinas Pizza, 432 E Monroe St, Springfield, IL 62701
Schedule: 6:30pm onwards -- casual socializing, cash menu and bar
Saturday, 10:00am - 5:00pm - Fall Conference, with Guest of Honor Ajamu Baraka
Location: Carnegie Room North (1st Floor), Lincoln Library, 326 S. 7th St, Springfield, IL 62701
Parking: Garage under the library, free on Saturdays. Metered street parking nearby.
Schedule of Events & Workshops (preliminary & subject to change)
10:00am - 10:15am - Registration
10:15am - 10:30am - Introductions & Opening Remarks
10:30am - 11:30am - Panels & Workshops
- Carnegie Room North: "Winning the Struggle for Free Higher Education and Zero Student Debt," presentation by former ILGP candidate for governor Rich Whitney
- Breakout Room: "Running for Office: The Basics," skills workshop with Geoffrey Cubbage, ILGP Volunteer Director and former Stein/Baraka campaign Deputy Press Director
11:30 – 12:30: Panels & Workshops, continued
- Carnegie Room North: "Winning the Struggle for Single-Payer Health Care," panel with Dr. Anne Scheetz and David Johnson, Illinois Single-Payer Coalition, Sue Saltmarsh, and Sheldon Schafer
- Breakout Room: "Green Party Organizing: How We Grow Green," skills workshop with Geoffrey Cubbage, ILGP Volunteer Director and former Stein/Baraka campaign Deputy Press Director
12:30 - 1:30: Lunch Break
1:30 - 2:00: ILGP Candidates for Public Office, 2018 Cycle
2:00 - 3:15: "Winning the Struggle for Peace," panel on the peace movement and the Green Party's involvement, with Ajamu Baraka, Rich Whitney and Paula Bradshaw
3:15 - 4:45: "Building Solidarity on the Left," panel with officers & leaders of left-wing parties and movements, including the Green Party, Socialist Party USA, Democratic Socialists of America, and others.
Location: Maldaners, 22 S 6th St, Springfield, IL (Green Business Certified restaurant with solar panels, rooftop garden, beehives, and local farmers/famers' market sourcing)
Keynote Speaker: Ajamu Barka, 2016 Green Party candidate for Vice-President
Price: $50/person full price, $25/person student/low income, $15/child
Please Note: The Keynote Dinner is a separate, ticketed event! Tickets can be purchased at the Keynote Dinner event page, or at the door with cash/check.
Sunday: ILGP Membership Meeting
Location: Meeting Room, Mansion View Inn & Suites, 529 S 4th St, Springfield, IL
Agenda: TBA - party business including Bylaws & Platform proposals, strategy session, campaign coordination, etc.
- There are 5 trains daily. Springfield is mid-line between Chicago and St.
- Amtrak Train schedule: amtrak.com/ccurl/253/377/Illinois-
Suggested Lodging Option
- Mansion View Inn & Suites, 529 S. 4th St, Springfield, IL 62701
- Room prices between $45 - $75
- Those attending should make their own reservations online (ASAP)
- There will not be any “conference rate”
- There are a number of national chain hotels available online as well
Join the Illinois Green Party and keynote speaker Ajamu Baraka, 2016 candidate for Vice-President, at one of Springfield's greenest restaurants!
Originally from Chicago's South Side, Ajamu Baraka returns to Illinois following a campaign as the Green Party's candidate for Vice-President in 2016. Since the election, he has been working to build the Black Alliance for Peace, a grassroots movement to "recapture and redevelop the historic anti-war, anti-imperialist, and pro-peace positions of the radical black movement."
Following the main program of the ILGP Fall Conference on Friday, our friends and supporters are invited to join Ajamu Baraka and the Illinois Green Party for an evening of good food and political discussion at Maldaner's, a Springfield establishment since 1884 that boasts a slow-food menu and a Platinum Green Business certification.
In addition to Ajamu Baraka's address, the evening will feature a multi-course buffet, silent auction, and cash bar. Doors open at 5:30 for drinks and socializing, and dinner will be served starting at 6:20.
Please use the form below to purchase dinner tickets. Tickets will also be available at the door for cash/check.
In these trying times with a neofascist takeover of the leadership of the most powerful nation in the world and an Illinois legislature passing budgets with regressive flat income tax increases that stick it to the working poor and middle class, it’s our duty to the 99% to provide a vigorous opposition to the two party tyranny, so…
Don’t Demoralize, Organize!
On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 7pm at the DuPage Greens Headquarters (213 S. Wheaton Ave, Wheaton) we will hold our DuPage County Green Party Monthly Meeting.
Remember, we now meet on the 1st Thursday of the month.
There will be many things to discuss including:
- 2018 and 2019 candidate recruitment
- Green Party elected officials comments
- DuPage Green Party Drinks planning
- Review of the 2017 Illinois Green Party Fall Conference
- Upcoming Events
Also, please consider donating to the DuPage Greens. It takes lots of small individual donations from people like you to cover the expenses required to support candidates and grow the Green Party in DuPage County, since as I’m sure you know, we don’t take any big money special interest contributions so we can fight for economic, social, environmental, racial and democratic justice for everyone in DuPage County, not just the fat cats.
Chair, DuPage County Green Party