Kevin Zeese of Popular Resistance Coming to Illinois!
For years, Popular Resistance (https://popularresistance.org/) has been an indispensable source of information for the peace movement and struggles for economic, racial and environmental justice. Now co-director and frequent contributor Kevin Zeese will be coming to Illinois to speak at several events, including our Fall Conference in Urbana on October 26th. (See details below.)
Zeese, a member of the Maryland Green Party, has been in the forefront of numerous struggles for peace and social justice, from the recent People’s Mobilization to Stop the US War Machine and Save the Planet outside the United Nations to his organizing of the Embassy Protection Collective in Washington. The Embassy Protection Collective is a group of peace activists who occupied the Venezuelan embassy in Washington with the permission of the sovereign government of Venezuela, after the Trump administration forced all diplomatic staff to leave the U.S. The Embassy Protection Collective successfully thwarted the Trump administration’s efforts to turn the embassy over to supporters of its puppet Juan Guaido, as part of its attempt to execute a coup in Venezuela. The above photo shows Kevin with Dr. Margaret Flowers during the protection action.
Zeese is one of four Embassy Protectors now facing highly politicized federal criminal charges for his role in standing up for international law and the rights of nations to self-determination. Contributions to support the protectors’ legal defense will be welcome at his appearances. (See defendembassyprotectors.org)
Here is Kevin’s schedule while in Illinois:
- Carbondale, Wednesday, October 23rd, 6:30 p.m.: “Building the Peace Movement,” Carbondale Civic Center, 200 S. Illinois Ave. In this presentation, Zeese will expose the motives underlying our misbegotten foreign policy. He will be sharing his knowledge about U.S. interventions in Venezuela, Nicaragua, Ukraine, and the Middle East, in making the case that the peace movement needs to become an explicitly anti-imperialist movement. Co-sponsored by the Peace Coalition of Southern Illinois and the Shawnee Green Party.
- Evanston, Thursday, October 24th, evening: Morton Civic Center, Lake Superior Room, Room #G300, 2100 Ridge Avenue. Further details forthcoming in next newsletter.
- Chicago, Friday, October 25th, evening: Cary's Lounge, 2251 W Devon Ave. (West Rogers Park.) Further details forthcoming in next newsletter.
- Urbana, October 26th, 3 p.m.: Illinois Green Party Fall Conference, Illini Student Union Building, 1401 W Green St., Room 314B. Kevin will be participating in an afternoon panel on “The Need For an Anti-Imperialist Peace Movement.”
- Champaign, October 26th, 6 p.m.: Fall Conference Dinner, Kohinoor Indian Restaurant and Lounge, 6 E. Columbia Ave., Champaign. After-dinner talk on the Venezuela Embassy Protection Collective and the Embassy Protectors Defense Committee. Dinner is off the menu at about 6:30; talk at about 7:30. Joint fundraiser for the Illinois Green Party and the Defense Committee. Suggested door donation of $20 but open to all.