2017 Illinois Green Party Fall Conference with Guest of Honor Ajamu Baraka
- WHO: Green Party members and supporters, with Guest of Honor Ajamu Baraka, 2016 Vice-Presidential candidate
- WHAT: Conference, panels, workshops, and Keynote Dinner (Saturday) and party membership meeting (Sunday)
- WHERE: Springfield, IL (Lincoln Library on Saturday, Mansion View Inn on Sunday)
- WHEN: Saturday, October 28 - Sunday, October 29 (with pre-conference social evening Friday, October 27)
The Green Party is needed today more than ever. With both parties currently in power answering to corporate money and corporate power, only a party that rejects all corporate donation and stands for the 99% can help restore true democratic government in America.
Join the Illinois Green Party and Vice-Presidential candidate Ajamu Baraka this October 28 for our 2017 Fall Conference & Membership Meeting to learn more about the Green Party, and our campaigns and candidates in Illinois. See details below for individual events and daily schedules.
If you are in need of a ride to the Fall Conference, or if you are a driver with extra seats in your car, please sign up using the Fall Meeting Carpool form.
Friday - Pre-Conference Social Gathering, Informal Dining
Location: Joe Gallinas Pizza, 432 E Monroe St, Springfield, IL 62701
Schedule: 6:30pm onwards -- casual socializing, cash menu and bar
Saturday, 10:00am - 5:00pm - Fall Conference, with Guest of Honor Ajamu Baraka
Location: Carnegie Room North & South (1st Floor), Lincoln Library, 326 S. 7th St, Springfield, IL 62701
Parking: Garage under the library, free on Saturdays. Metered street parking nearby.
Schedule of Events & Workshops (preliminary & subject to change)
10:00am - 10:15am - Registration
10:15am - 10:30am - Introductions & Opening Remarks
10:30am - 11:30am - Panels & Workshops
- Winning the Struggle for Free Higher Education and Zero Student Debt, Carnegie Room North: Presentation by former ILGP candidate for governor Rich Whitney
- Running for Office: The Basics, Carnegie Room South: A short, interactive campaign/candidate training that covers basic filing requirements, campaign planning, and a "quickstart guide" to get a campaign up and running. Participants will leave with a basic framework for a campaign for the political office of their choice.
11:30 – 12:30: Panels & Workshops, continued
- Winning the Struggle for Single-Payer Health Care, Carnegie Room North: Current Challenges and Controversies: Panel with Dr. Anne Scheetz, Illinois Single-Payer Coalition; Sue Saltmarsh, Demand Universal Health Care; Sheldon Schafer, Peoria Area Green Party
- Green Party Organizing: How We Grow Green, Carnegie Room South: The backbone of any political campaign or party is its "field team" -- the on-the- ground organizers who are meeting people, introducing them to the party, and getting them engaged in ways they find fulfilling. This one-hour training session covers the basics of political organizing, and outlines the Illinois Green Party's volunteer organizer structure.
12:30 - 1:30: Lunch Break
1:30 - 2:00: Introducing Recognized Green Party Candidates for 2018, Carnegie Room North – Randy
Auxier, Aaron Goldberg, MWRD Slate (plus any other that get recognized)
2:00 - 3:15: Winning the Struggle for Peace, Carnegie Room North: Panel with Ajamu Baraka, Rich Whitney
and Paula Bradshaw – Explaining how the corporate media and parties misinform people about U.S. wars, their immorality, illegality and economic costs to our communities; how we can build an effective peace movement.
3:15 - 4:45:
- Building Solidarity on the Left, Carnegie Room North: Panel with officers & leaders of left-wing parties and movements, including:
Chris Blankenhorn, Co-Chair Green Party of the United States, Co-Chair Illinois Green Party
Dele Balogun, Co-Chair Democratic Socialists of America
AJ Segneri, National Committee Delegate Socialist Party USA, Socialist Party of Illinois
John Beacham, Executive Committee Member of the Party for Socialism and Liberation
Andi Shihadeh, Workers World Party
- Film: FixIt - Healthcare at the Tipping Point, Carnegie Room South: An excellent film on the
case for single-payer health care, plus Follow-up on Future Organizing for the Single-Payer Struggle.
Location: Maldaners, 222 S 6th St, Springfield, IL (Green Business Certified restaurant with solar panels, rooftop garden, beehives, and local farmers/famers' market sourcing)
Keynote Speaker: Ajamu Barka, 2016 Green Party candidate for Vice-President
Price: $50/person full price, $25/person student/low income, $15/child (4 - 12 years), 3 & under free, cash bar - beer & wine available
Please Note: The Keynote Dinner is a separate, ticketed event! Tickets can be purchased at the Keynote Dinner event page, or at the door with cash/check.
Sunday, 9am - 2pm: ILGP Membership Meeting
Location: Mansion View Inn & Suites, Meeting Room, 529 S 4th St, Springfield, IL
9:00 – 9:30: Sign in, check membership status of participants, introductions
9:30 – 10:30: Discussion of prospective Platform changes
10:30 – 11:30: Discussion of prospective By-Law changes
11:30 – 12:30: Lunch break (Possible in-person Exec meeting over lunch)
12:30 – 2:00: Open discussion on strategy for 2018 election cycle including prospect for
2:00: Adjourn (can extend if needed)
- There are 5 trains daily. Springfield is mid-line between Chicago and St.
- Amtrak Train schedule: amtrak.com/ccurl/253/377/Illinois-
Suggested Lodging Option
- Mansion View Inn & Suites, 529 S. 4th St, Springfield, IL 62701
- Room prices between $45 - $75
- Those attending should make their own reservations online (ASAP)
- There will not be any “conference rate”
- There are a number of national chain hotels available online as well
326 S 7th St
Carnegie Room North (1st floor)
Springfield, IL 62701
Google map and directions