Run Local...Run Green! - 2019 ILGP Candidate Nomination Process
Ready for the 2019 elections yet?
It seems like a long way off, but the filing period for the 2019 municipal elections is coming up fast. Offices on the ballot in 2019 will include municipal positions (mayors, city council members, etc.), township offices, and local bodies like school, park, fire, and library districts. The exact offices on the ballot will differ from place to place. Some municipal elections are partisan (meaning that candidates are listed on the ballot as Green, Republican, Democrat, etc.), while others are not.
The official election calendar kicks off with petitioning in August of 2018, and the Illinois Green Party nomination process for candidates who want to run as a Green (or with Green support in non-partisan elections) starts even sooner. Here are the dates you need to know:
April 16 - July 22, 2018: Window for prospective Green Party candidates to submit Candidate Questionnaires to the ILGP Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org) and arrange interviews with their local chapter (or the ILGP Executive Committee if there is no local chapter).
July 22, 2018: Final date for prospective Green Party candidates to secure recognition from their local Green Party Chapter (or the ILGP Executive Committee if there is no local chapter).
- July 23-29, 2018: Online ballots of Green Party membership in districts. Candidates who received recognition from their local chapter (or the ILGP Executive Committee where there is no local chapter) will be placed on an online ballot available to all ILGP members in the relevant district. Elections will be conducted using Instant Runoff Voting, including a "None of the Remaining" option (or "None of the Above" in the case of single-candidate ballots). Winners of the online ballots will be official Green Party endorsed candidates.
Consolidated Primary Election
- August 28, 2018: First day for 2019 candidates to begin circulating candidate petitions for the consolidated primary election.
- November 19-26, 2018: Window to turn in 2019 candidate paperwork & petitions to the election authorities for the consolidated primary election.
- February 26, 2019: Election Day (consolidated primary)
Consolidated General Election
- September 18, 2018: First day for 2019 candidates to begin circulating candidate petitions for the consolidated general election.
- December 10-17, 2018: Window to turn in 2019 candidate paperwork & petitions to the election authorities for the consolidated primary election.
- April 2, 2019: Election Day (consolidated general)
If you're ready to run Green in 2019, email email@example.com or sign up on our Run For Office page! We'll get in touch with more information on local elections in your area, and on how to secure recognition from your local chapter.